Food Safety and Quality Assurance
Food Safety and Quality (FSQ) Techs are responsible, reliable individuals who understand the importance of the safety and quality of our confectionery products and strive to improve it. The FSQ Tech is responsible for conducting audits within the manufacturing facility and enforcing all Food Safety and Quality programs (SQF, HACCP, GMPs, SOPs, SSOPs) as well as ensuring adherence to customer and regulatory requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following;
(Other duties may be assigned.)
- Perform FSQ activities as detailed in "Job Objectives" documented in the Quality Manual.
- Assure checks are documented clearly and cross referenced and traceable.
- Perform walkthroughs of the production floor ensuring compliance to all food safety and quality policies and procedures.
- Verify documentation and monitoring of CCPs, CQPs, and regulatory requirements for accuracy and compliance.
- Communicate with lead-persons, supervisors, and/or production manager on all food safety, quality and plant issues which may have a negative impact on product, and work together to correct the situation.
- Provide constant and consistent quality leadership to production operators, looking for ways to improve product quality.
- Actively work towards food safety and quality improvements (final product, plant conditions, and customer service), improvement in productivity, and cost reduction.
- Perform sensoric, organoleptic and analytical testing of in-line, WIP and finished product to ensure compliance to specifications.
- Diligence in collecting routine finished product samples on time, and raw ingredient and packaging materials as needed.
- Composite samples for microbiological testing, complete lab request forms and prep for delivery to outside approved lab.
- Maintain retained finished product and sensory sample inventory.
- Carry out pre-ops, ATP and Allergen swab testing, and environmental sampling program.
- Data entry and other administrative tasks such as filing, scanning, copying, faxing and organization of documents.
- Collect and ship samples requested by Sales.
- Maintain the laboratory and the equipment in a clean, safe and orderly manner on a daily basis.
- Follow all safety, GMP and GLP rules and regulations.
- Maintain and report nonconformance holds for rejected ingredients, WIP, finished product, and equipment, and assure its proper disposition.
- Assist in special tests, inspections or product development as requested of the plant FSQ department by Production or the Corporate Marketing Department.
- Investigate consumer complaints to identify root causes and implement corrective and preventive measures.
- Assist FSQ Supervisor in training associates to meet customer requirements and food safety/quality system requirements.
- Other skills related to food safety and quality as required include:
- integrity, accuracy, detail oriented, and organized
- taking ownership of assignments, follow up on and conclude any given task to meet targeted deadline
- very keen and observant
- ability to operate both independently and in a team environment and can problem solve using analytical skills
- effective interpersonal and communication skills (written, electronic, verbal, and listening)
- ability to work well with minimal supervision
- able to foster and maintain a cooperative relationship both interdepartmentally and intradepartmentally
- ability to work in the presence of common allergens
- must be able to work any/all shifts, holidays, and overtime on occasion if business needs change
WORK SAFETY Ensures that all tasks and functions of position are performed in a safe manner at all times and that all procedures and requirements are properly followed to accomplish assigned tasks.
FOOD SAFETY/QUALITY Shall be responsible for food safety and quality as well as reporting food safety and quality problems to personnel with authority to initiate action.
BACKUP COVERAGE In the absence of the FSQ Tech II, the FSQ Supervisor shall be responsible to make provision to cover the absence with a qualified associate.
QUALIFICATIONS To be considered qualified for this job, an individual shall have the required skills listed below and must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed in the FSQ Job Objectives after a 2 month training period. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE High School Diploma or Equivalent. Further education or previous food mfg. Experience is preferred. Background in food manufacturing, quality, food safety or sanitation is ideal, but not required. GMPs, HACCP, FDA or SQF background ideal, but not necessary.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Must be able to read, write and verbally communicate in English. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, product specifications, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and technical manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from associates at all levels, including production associates, sanitation, line leads, supervisors, management, and executive.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Basic mathematics will be required to fulfill this position. Must be able to calculate basic mathematical equations with accuracy. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, averages, area, circumference, and volume.
REASONING ABILITY Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
926 Penn Ave.
Wyomissing, PA 19610
Online Applications at www.Berksandbeyond.Com
Email resumes to: reading@berksandbeyond.Com